Friday, April 9, 2010

Quotes on Books and Reading...





Quotes on Books and Reading


"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind."
- Rudyard Kipling
c

"A book is a gift you can open again and again."
- Garrison Keillor
c

"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you
can carry away from it."
- James Bryce
c

"When I enter a library I feel as if almost the dead were present,
and I know if I put questions to these books they will answer me with
all the faithfulness and fullness which has been left in them by
the great men who have left the books with us."
- John Bright
c

"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader."
- Margaret Fuller
c

"When I am reading a book, whether wise or silly,
it seems to be alive and talking to me."
- Jonathan Swift
c

"We read to know we are not alone."
- C. S. Lewis
c

"A home without books is like a body without a soul."
-
Marcus Tullius Cicero
c

"If one can not enjoy reading a book over and over again,
there is no use in reading it at all."
- Oscar Wilde
c

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else."
- Mark Twain
c

"Be careful about reading health books.
You may die of a misprint."
- Mark Twain
c

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
- Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)


5 comments:

  1. Okay Val. Thank you for these quotes. They remind me why I am up to my shoulders in books around here.

    I like the Lewis quote the best "We read to know we are not alone."

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this one:

    "The more that you read, the more things you will know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
    - Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

    Dr. Seuss said that??? LOL! Love you,

    krissy knox :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you have a comment about santa in your combox, LOL. i don't expect him to come in april, LOL. you are a seeeely girl! love you,

    krissy knox :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Val, I loved all of these! You know I think you are great at what you do. And I look forward to reading your selections.

    Thanks, Sweetie!
    Merry

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear val, thanks to me that i found this page.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or Santa won't come to your house =):