Sunday, September 19, 2010

Quotes and a Verse for Autumn...




Quotes and a Verse for Autumn


"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die... "
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-2(a)


"October is nature's funeral month.
Nature glories in death more than in life. The month of
departure is more beautiful than the month of coming -
October than May. Every green thing loves
to die in bright colors."
- Henry Ward Beecher


"Then summer fades and passes and October comes.
We'll smell smoke then, and feel an unexpected sharpness,
a thrill of nervousness, swift elation,
a sense of sadness and departure."
- Thomas Wolfe


"I love the fall. I love it because of the smells that you speak of;
and also because things are dying, things that you don't have to
take care of anymore, and the grass stops growing."
- Mark Van Doren


"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of
the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter.
Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show."
- Andrew Wyeth


"I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as
autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend
almost all the daylight hours in the open air."
- Nathaniel Hawthorne


"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it,
and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns."
- George Eliot

But within me is the cold.
Youth and spring are all about;
It is I that have grown old."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 'Autumn Within'


"Every leaf speaks bliss to me,
fluttering from the autumn tree."
- Emily Bronte


"October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came-
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band."
- George Cooper, 'October's Party'



"It is autumn; not without

2 comments:

  1. Some very nice quotes. My favorite is the Eliot about flying above looking for the next autumn.
    D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or Santa won't come to your house =):