Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Quotes in Literature and on TV...


Christmas Quotes in Literature and on Television

"I have always thought of Christmas time,
when it has come round, as a good time; a kind,
forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of,
in the long calendar of the year, when men and women
seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely,
and to think of people below them as if they really
were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another
race of creatures bound on other journeys."
- Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
---

"There is nothing sadder in this world than to awake
on Christmas morning and not be a child."
Erma Bombeck, I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
---
"Christmas is a time when people of all religions
come together to worship Jesus Christ."
- Bart Simpson, The Simpsons
---
"Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree.
In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall."
- Larry Wilde, in The Merry Book of Christmas
---
"Mail your packages early so the post office
can lose them in time for Christmas."

- Johnny Carson
---
Linus Van Pelt:
"And there were in the same country
shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their
flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon
them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them:
and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them,
'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great
joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day
in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And
this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped
in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly
there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host,
praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

[Linus picks up his blanket and walks
back towards Charlie Brown]

Linus Van Pelt:
"That's what Christmas is all
about, Charlie Brown."
- Charles Schulz, Charlie Brown Christmas
---
"Roses are reddish
Violets are bluish
If it weren't for Christmas
We'd all be Jewish."
- Benny Hill
---
"Somehow, not only for Christmas
But all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others
Is the joy that comes back to you.

And the more you spend in blessing
The poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart's possessing
Returns to you glad."
- John Greenleaf Whittier

2 comments:

  1. Glancing at sidebar --> I didn't know you were part of BlogCatalog. Cool! So am I! I rated you. I hope I rated you correctly, b/c I just gave you a five. If that's wrong, LOL, let me know, and I'll give you a one next time! Is that how it works? LOL.
    Anyway, these Christmas quotes are great! Shame you spend so much time on them and there are not a lot of people staying home these days near Christmas -- going through their google readers, reading posts and commenting.
    You do use a google reader, don't you? Or do you just put everybody, NonBlogger and Blogger, and go down your blogroll on one of your sites? Let me know.
    Anyway, Val, I put you on Twitter today. I hope somebody comes by and reads your fun blog, because you do so much, and I adore your work (and play)!

    Krissy :)
    visit my main blog: Sometimes I Think
    Hey Jlanders! Please post your blogs in the Directory of Blogs: from jland to blogger
    visit me at twitter: www.twitter.com/iamkrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Val,
    Just wanted to stop bye and tell you Merry Christmas and I hope you have a good one.
    Take care, Chrissie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or Santa won't come to your house =):